My favorite blogger Sundry has posted this year-end quiz she's done for the last several years and I thought it might be fun. I do a lot of year-end list type stuff on my own, so this is right up my alley (that's what she said).
Okay, without further ado, the quiz:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Got the balls to step up to a microphone and ask Kevin Smith a question in front of hundreds of people at one of his Q & A's.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any last year, but this year is the quitting smoking thing. It's less a resolution and more I HAVE NO CHOICE.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My ex-boyfriend's cousin. I wouldn't say we're close, but we keep in touch.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Unfortunately, yes. My grandmother at age 91 and my friend Lisa at 43. Lisa's was the hardest - untimely, violent and at the hands of her boyfriend.
5. What countries did you visit?
All my travel was limited to the US of A.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A baby. And I'm excited because we've never been closer to this goal than we are now.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 6 - Annette took her first road trip in ages by herself to drive 480 miles to come visit.
February 27 - My sister and baby niece flew up here to visit.
March 1 - My 7th Kid Rock concert with my sister, but first one where Brian joined us.
March 30 - Johnann called to tell me Lisa had been killed the night before.
July 4 - Flew to Florida to visit Jen for the weekend.
July 25 - Annette & I met in Savannah where we spent the weekend sight-seeing and going to see The Dark Knight.
August 29 - We took our first real vacation in a very long time to the beach at Fripp Island and shared an amazing beach house with his dad and that side of the family. The fun side.
October 9 - Grace & Elizabeth made their first trip up to visit.
October 13 - More friends from FL were here and we all went to the state fair.
October 15 - Got the call my grandmother died. Unbelievably I'd gotten to talk to her on the phone THE DAY BEFORE.
October 17 - Annette (again!) and Jen from FL were here and we all went to the state fair and the next night to an awesome Halloween party.
October 31 - I spent a few days with my family in Disney World; got to see all the little kids, our family's next generation of cousins trick-or-treat and play with each other.
December 9 - Found out there actually is hope for us to potentially have a baby for the first time. After almost ten years of being married and childless.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to quit cold turkey.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Besides some potty troubles, thankfully no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Brian's replacement Playstation; his happiness and excitment was good enough for me.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Our men and women in the military who continue to sacrifice themselves in order so we're able to continue to enjoy the freedom we take completely for granted.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Most of the people involved in politics and/or this election.
14. Where did most of your money go?
BILLZ, where else?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
See above; December 9th.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter
c) richer or poorer? About the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Further my education by taking a class, which I'm allowed to do FOR FREE through work at the college. Idiot.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worry about things I can't control. But that's every year.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With the un-fun mother-in-law's side of the family who live an hour and a half away. ALL DAY. But it wasn't too bad.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
No, but I remained in love.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office, 30 Rock, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I haven't really hated anyone since 2002.
24. What was the best book you read?
Wow, this is a toughie. Out of the 69 books I've completed this year...*consults book journal*...It's a tie between Population 485 by Michael Perry, Naked by David Sedaris and A Wolf at the Table by Augesten Burroughs.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sadly, I had none this year.
26. What did you want and get?
My engagement ring setting to be changed from yellow to white gold.
27. What did you want and not get?
Pregnant. Yet. Do you sense a reccuring theme here?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don't know if it technically came out in 2008, but that's when I saw it (twice) in the theaters - Juno. By far.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 39 and met Jen and her mom in Savannah for the weekend. Again, with the Savannah. I've now seen all there is to see there and don't ever really have to go back.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting my own private office at work.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Same as every year - Target & Gap with a side of thrift. Although the sizes got bigger this year, so that was fun.
32. What kept you sane?
My husband and my meds.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Glenn Beck. And yes, I am turning into an old fart; thank you for noticing.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The fact that we have two border patrol guards, Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean serving over ten years in prison each for shooting a Mexican drug dealer in the ass who was attempting to flee after trying to smuggle 750 pounds of weed into this country. They've been in jail for two years already and their families are struggling horribly. Hey, Mr. President - how about a pardon for people who ACTUALLY DESERVE IT (he's already pardoned some drug dealers) before you slink out of office like a sheepish pussy. What the fuck. Got-DAMN, that shit pisses me off.
35. Who did you miss?
My dad, like every year. My sister and niece. (SOME) of my family in NY and Florida. My friends from all over.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
No question about it; Indiana Heather. Best thing to ever have come out of this silly blogging thing.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Having and keeping faith is difficult but well worth your time and energy.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Here's a shocker; I'll use a Kid Rock song called Roll On:
Roll on Roll on roller roaster
We're one day older and one step closer
Roll on there's mountains to climb
Roll on we're on borrowed time
Roll on roller coaster
Roll on tonight
Well, there you have it. Anybody who wants to participate, you know I'll read them all and love them because there's not much else I love more than documenting and making lists.