Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Okay, I'm taking a break from Bitter City.

I'm very excited about this weekend. I'm meeting one of my (true) best friends in one of my favorite places in the world, Savannah. She's never been and since we'd planned on seeing Batman together no matter what, we figured it was a good meeting spot between our two homes. Of course what will be a 2.5 hour drive for me will be a five hour drive for her, it's not completely fair, but this way she'll get to see someplace she's been dying to visit for a long time. It's going to be a lot of fun.
We're not big drinkers, but I am going to take her to Wet Willies where we will have grain alcohol slushies with names like Call a Cab and Shock Treatment. Just one of these potent concoctions will do us just fine, thanky.
We are also going to see Batman. Movies are what brought us closer together as friends, as we used to belong to a movie club. Actually it was only us and one other person, our friend Bill, but for two and a half years we got together and watched a movie almost every single week. Mostly at Bill's house, but we also had several outings at the theater. We are self-proclaimed movie geeks and it's one of the things I miss most about living in Florida.
I can't wait to walk along the river front, window shopping and eating at the Crab House.
I can't wait to show her the Mercer house, where Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was based on and partially filmed. She'll be ecstatic just to stand where Kevin Spacey may have stood.
Although the bench where Forest Gump sat is not actually a bench, we'll be able to stand in that spot too.
I can't wait for the ghost tour we're taking, as that's something I've not done there before.
Having just spent another weekend in Savannah a few months ago with a different friend, I feel really lucky at getting to go back so soon.
Now if only Brian and I ever got to go there together, I'd be extremely happy. It's a shame I'm the only one who ever goes on vacation and he's the one always stuck home dogsitting the baby. He says he doesn't mind, but it bothers me.

No comments: