Sunday, September 14, 2008

Coming Soon

My biggest challenge today is going to be fighting the guilt that I should be doing something productive. I haven't had a lot of free time lately and I don't want to turn into one of those people who don't know how to relax. Brian knew I needed a day off, so he and the fur face just took off to his parents' house and as soon as they walked out the door the TV was shut off and the silence is beautiful. One of the only things we don't agree on is noise. He needs it at all times so that even when he's not particularly watching TV, he likes to have it on for background noise. I know a lot of people are like this, but I'm not one of them. I love quiet and usually I have to go into another part of the house or out to one of the sitting areas outside the house if I want to have it.

I am going to leave at some point today, but I don't plan on going far with the gas situation being what it is. My whole journey - Barnes & Noble, Hobby Lobby and Walmart is about a 3-mile radius but will be sufficient to cover all my shopping needs today. The news this morning didn't bode well for things changing any time soon and I'm not looking forward to the next time I need to pump gas, so I'll put if off as long as possible. But after working so much lately I'm treating myself to a few little pressies so the little gas I will use will be worth it. And we're out of dog food.
Also I figured the little shopping excursion would perk me up enough to deal with some Mother drama I'm going to have to endure at some point today. This is me mentally bolstering myself up to meet the challenge. I will handle the situation like the mature adult I am - stop laughing; I can hear you laughing. During the conversation with her I'll be visualizing myself into the future to Tuesday when the temperature is finally going to make its first noticeable drop, the day I look forward to all summer long.

Because, you see, I start obsessing about Fall pretty much right after the 4th of July. By then the heat has kicked in full force and I get pretty depressed knowing there's another two months of hellish weather ahead. I joke that I have Opposite Seasonal Affective Disorder and that I only get depressed when it's hot and sunny outside. And living in the South doesn't bode well for my condition. What infuriates me further is that it's actually HOTTER in Columbia, SC than in Tampa most days during the Summer. We live in the center of the state without the benefit of sea breezes or mountain air. But that's okay, because all that is about to end soon. I've made a mental list of the things I want to do this week as the cool front approaches.
- Wear something Fallish. I have plenty to choose from.
- Bake my Crack Cookies. I've missed them but refuse to use the oven that much in the Summer unless absolutely necessary.
- Cook chili. Brian loves it and it's perfect football food.
- Play outside in the yard with the dog/walk the dog around the neighborhood for longer than twenty minute intervals.
- Inhale the crisp air every morning.

Yeah, baby! This is my time to rejoice! All the Summer Lovers out there, I'm sorry - you can't beat the upcoming time of year.

No comments: