Thursday, January 8, 2009

Forty's going to be precious

In preparing some work for next month, I realized in a few weeks my birthday is happening. Then I realized I'm turning 40. Then I thought, huh.

I stopped caring too much about my birthday a few years back because they used to be so awesome that if one year it happened to fall in the middle of the week and was a total dud, I wouldn't be so disappointed. It's a birthday. Biggie. But I think birthdays ending in 0 should be sort of recognized more than usual. I guess. My only real wish is to see snow, which sounds idiotic to those of you in northern climes, but it's true. It's been a few years since I've seen any - last winter we got a couple of "wintery mix/freezing rain" days, but no fluffy white stuff. It's horseshit.

To see snow, I merely need to travel a hundred miles or less north/northwestward and it's really not that hard to do. So, now it's official: that's what I want to do. Honey, do you hear that? Wait, I don't call you Honey. Baby? That sounds stupid when I say it here. What's your name again? Dude. I want to see snow; you think you can make my birthday dream come true? I'd be so excited and happy. That was the plan last year until the entire month of February was taken up by people coming to visit me from Florida. Which I will never turn down. This year no one has any money and/or has stopped wanting to see me. Not to mention my birthday is on Friday the 13th, so what better plan than to take a truck that's not running very well up into the mountains to look for inclement weather. I didn't get to be this old without being this smart, let me tell you.

Forty. I still enjoy seeing the jaw-dropping looks of disbelief when I tell people my age, I'll admit that. Besides a few lines around the eyes and a couple of stupid gray (I typed gay by mistake; that works too) hairs, I don't think I look my age. Unless this is what forty looks like. Which, cool. But what I say to people who at first act like, Wow! and then give me the side-eye, is it's probably going to all fall apart at once - I'll wake up one day (hopefully a long LONG time from now) and look something like this:
Gollum Pictures, Images and Photos

I'll start calling everybody My Precious and become obsessed with yellow gold rings again, just like in the 80's. Then I'll toss myself into a live volcano.

Thanks, Tolkein, for always having the answers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get your snow wish. I keep trying to figure out how to send you some, but it's just not working.

I do believe I have all of your gray hairs. :)

Kim said...

I probably have more gray than I think I do, but that's what Redken hair dye is for.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have more hair that he does.

Kim said...

And better posture.

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll get a weekend away in the snow or something!

I already bear a remarkable resemblence to Gollum, what with the lack of hair and split personality... :D

Kim said...

I'm sorry Suzy; I've seen pictures and can't see the resemblence anywhere!

Weetabix said...

You know where we've got lots of snow? Wisconsin. You know where you can have a bunch of fun in the snow and meet new friends? The Green Bay Minicon.

Kim said...

Ho. Lee. Shit.
A celebrity. Here.

*Runs away to hide*