Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What, me worry?

I have a few people thinking, perhaps WAITING for me to post today about the election. And to that I say no thanks, nyet, nien, no way jose, nosireebobbybrady. Everyone who knows me already knows my feelings about everything and I also think I made it clear yesterday. I'm glad this part of it is over. Am I worried? Sure. But I've been worried for a long time, so I'm used to that. No matter who got elected last night, that wasn't going to change. If you want to talk politics, call Brian - he has plenty to say today and in fact just kept me on the phone for 18 minutes. But I'm done talking about it. For now, anyway.

In the meantime, because I wouldn't want you to think I've lost my mind and I'm just a-strollin' along, carefree, fancyfree and any other kind of free, here is a list of the things - besides politics - I'm currently concerned about:

1. My cousin's wife goes in for major surgery in the next few days. She's already been through a ton of health-related issues this year, but when I saw her last weekend she had her usual great attitude about everything, so that made me feel better. But still, major surgery. Which also leads to worrying about my cousin and the rest of their family.

2. My mother, who needs eye surgery like last year because of progressing cataracts, but who in the meantime is still driving her car to and from work, endangering herself and anyone near her on the road. Don't get me started on this. Bulletin: if you live in the Inverness city limits or its immediate surroundings, be on the lookout for a small silver-blueish Chevy Aveo with an insane-looking orange-haired woman driving. Steer clear and give her a wide berth; she can't see you.

3. Who they're going to fill the Weekend Update desk with now that Amy Poehler's had her baby.

4. The fact that we have gas heat in our house but still no carbon monoxide sensor.

5. About how loose, jiggly and weird my gear shift feels when I move it from one gear to another.
6. The fact that Peyton Manning's knee surgery this summer has had a disasterous effect on the Colts this season.

7. About my friend, the Princess of Darkness. It seems she's getting herself involved in a lifestyle much more suited to a 20-year-old than a 40-year-old, and that she has no idea how to handle it.

8. My other cousin, who even though she's separated from her abusive, alcoholic husband, seems in no hurry to actually divorce him and now they're seeing each other every weekend when they trade the child off and getting along "better than ever."

9. Whether or not Brian kills a deer when he goes hunting Friday. Last year he got one his first half hour in the woods and because of this my guess is that his expectations are irrationally high. Also that when I wake him up to leave and give him coffee at 4:30 that morning I won't be able to fall back to sleep.

10. That somehow his parents will guilt us into spending Thanksgiving with them and that we won't be able to pull off spending it by ourselves two years in a row.

11. About the Gamecocks winning their next three games: Arkansas, Florida and Clemson. Especially the Florida one.

12. Not getting to go upstate to look at the leaves because they're turning too damn fast.

See? There is PLENTY of worry floating around in this fun head of mine without even touching the state of the world. And really? That's just a mere fraction of the things I think about on a minute-by-minute basis. If I were ever to share everything, just spill it all out there with no filter or censorship, you would be very afraid. Very, very afraid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right. There are plenty of other things to worry about at any given time. I'm not posting about the election because what do I have to say that hasn't already been said and, really, who gives two shits about my opinions on politics anyway? I mean, really...